“Love cannot remain by itself -- it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service.” – Mother Theresa
Intention for Ames Yoga Center Karma Krew
The intention behind Ames Yoga Center Community Karma Krew is to facilitate opportunities for yoga students to expand their practices beyond the yoga mat and into the heart of their communities. This aim is accomplished through the creation of community outreach projects as well as simple Seva projects which support the inclusion of seva, selfless service, in one's overall yoga practice. In doing so, you serve to embody the highest expression of yoga while creating amazing opportunities to bring like-hearted people together to create a positive shift in the world!
Ames Yoga Center Karma Krew will break the year down into two types of seva: Community Projects & Seva Service.
Community Projects are traditional volunteer outings bookended by a practice of mindfulness and sharing which will be facilitated by the local seva project planning committee. Seva Service is karma yoga without the project. This includes Ames Yoga Center collection drives for a specific purpose in the community through workshop/class free will offerings at the center.
The Philosophy Behind Our Community Seva Program
In Sanskrit, "karma" means "to act or to serve," and to serve our community is one of the most foundational and transformative expressions of yoga. The whole concept of Community Seva is not based on doing service in the community out of a “should” feeling or an obligation, but to experience it as a natural extension of one’s own personal growth process.
In a magical way, by opening your heart to others with karma yoga, you are able to pull yourself out of the drama of life and see things with a clearer perspective. It frees you from the illusions of suffering and allows you to access the potential that lies dormant at your core waiting to unfold.
Community Seva events include other practices of yoga in the day of service, like physical yoga (hatha yoga) and satsang (group share) in order to provide an integrated format that helps you “connect the dots” between your service work and “the rest of your life.” Yoga is something that too often gets restricted just to the experience on the mat when it truthfully holds so much more potential, well beyond the walls of any studio. That said, please know that we believe yoga is for everyone, not just for people who "practice yoga." Everyone is welcome!
"The real practice begins the moment you step off the mat." Karma is the yoga of action.
Yoga practice cultivates gratitude from within.Combine gratitude and karma and we have a very powerful practice allowing us to nurture self and others. The Ames Yoga Center karma krew program was designed with the intention of creating empowering community service for both the giver and the receiver. The exchange is meant to be a win/win experience for all.
Here’s how it works
We have a wonderful Project Planning Committee who plans and leads outreach activities throughout the year. The projects are posted on the Ames Yoga Center website. We are focusing on connecting with other businesses within the community who need help manifesting a community service project for a specific purpose.
Here’s how you can you get involved
• Check out the upcoming service projects on the website or on Ames Yoga Centers page and choose one that inspires you.
• Contact the karma krew member who is charge of the project to find out how you can participate.
• Mark your calendar and show up ready to use your talents and gifts.
Upcoming Community Projects for Ames Yoga Center karma krew
Boys and Girls Club of Ames - Summer Garden project
Ames Yoga Center karma krew will be cultivating and nurturing the garden with the Boys and Girls Club this summer.
Dates to put on your calendar:
May 1st Early Garden prep and planting
May 29th Harvest and second garden planting
June 26th Garden maintenance
August 21st Reaping the rewards, Salsa making and celebration.
Art Walk raising funds for friends of Ada Hayden Silent auction
June 7th 5-8pm
At Ames Yoga center service and generosity is at the heart of our mission. We enjoy working with other local businesses and organizations who support this philosophy as well.
- Soul of the Prairie Ruthann O’Brien Hadish has teamed up with Mary Drier to offer workshops and retreats on the beautiful grounds of Soul of the Prairie featuring labyrinth exploration and time for quiet reflection. Soul of the Prairie website
- Iowa State University Verb Club Ames Yoga Center offers Free Yoga for Youth in the community through the Summer Verb Program. Supporting and enhancing children’s lives through active learning.
- 11 days of Global Unity Ames Yoga Center annually offers free Peace through Inner Power Yoga and Meditation workshops which support the organizations goal of creating unity both locally and universally.
- Images by Ngaire is a local photography studio who has done some fabulous photos for Ames Yoga Center website and brochures. Images by Ngaire website
Silent Auction Donations
Ames Yoga Center supports local non profit organizations by donating free sessions of yoga classes.
- Ames High school Uganda Service Project
- Ames Middle School fundraisers
- Sawyer Elementary School fundraisers
- Mica Breastfeeding Fair
- American Red Cross
- Mica living with HIV
- American Heart Association Go Red For Women
Karma Yoga Donations
Proceeds from classes and workshops at Ames Yoga Center have been donated from local to International charities to help support the work they do to help those in need.
- ACCESS Women’s Shelter, Ames.
- Mid Iowa Community Action, Ames.
- Youth & Shelter Service
- Beloit Residential Treatment Ames.
- From the Heart Scholarship fund, Ames
- Invisible Children The 25 Campaign, International